Thursday, October 10, 2013

Be Still....


"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
These words have a new meaning to me after recent events. It all began with a text message that will be forever ingrained in my mind...."Urgent: Pray! Travis fell 70 ft from a tree!". I had so many thoughts run through my mind in those moments after seeing this. You see Travis is my husband....he was doing a private job taking down a tree that day....something that he had done off and on for about six years. A dear friend who was with me received the text and showed it to me. Shock began to set in. I had no idea what to expect. What could happen to someone who had just fallen 70ft? He could be dead....paralyzed....brain injuries.....the list went on in my head. Yet there was still some kind of serene calmness in that long drive to the hospital.....something supernatural took over when all my flesh wanted to do was scream and cry.



Instead of crying I was able to breath and rest knowing that God was in control. There was nothing...nothing I could do in that moment to help my husband except pray. Pray for a miracle. Pray for healing. That calm assurance that the Lord gave me that day cannot be explained in human terms. It could only have come from the Lord Jesus Christ and the assurance I have in Him to know He is taking care of everything. Not because of anything I have done, but only because He loves me. Because He loves my husband. He also loved me enough to have provided for a dear friend to be with me when this happened. Someone who had mentored me and who knew the Love of Jesus herself.
When I arrived at the hospital I only knew that my husband was still breathing after his fall. I went to the emergency room and discovered that CT scans appeared to be normal. There was no swelling or bleeding in his brain and no paralysis was apparent. Thank you Jesus. Further testing showed there was a possible issue with his heart in his Pericardium. The doctor believed there could be fluid leaking in and he would need surgery soon. Life flight was on its way to transfer him to Eastern Maine Medical Center. Things began to get scary again. Be still and know that I am God.....Once again I found myself on a long drive to the hospital. I had watched life flight take my husband up in the sky not knowing what might happen next. Still, miracles were already happening. He didn't appear to be paralyzed. His back appeared okay. He had a broken wrist and pelvic bone, but those would heal. Thank you Jesus. Now I was praying for his heart. Once again reminded to "be still" I was left with only prayer...funny how important prayer becomes when you are reminded you have no control.
Once at EMMC he had another cardiogram. Be still and know that I am God. It came back completely normal! It was about this time I discovered that hundreds of people were praying for us. Some knew of the accident before I did. My former Pastor's wife had even called from Indiana! We were all witness to a miracle....a miracle from our loving Father.
Travis underwent two surgeries and the next few days were long and hard as doctors began to wean my husband off the sedatives. We waited....and waited....for Travis to wake up. Once he did the progress was unbelievable. My husband came home after only two weeks in the hospital. It hasn't been the smoothest of transitions....but....God is faithful and how could I ever doubt His goodness to us. I don't know why He has given us this miracle. I don't know why He has chosen to take some home and keep my husband here. I do know, however, that He loves us. Even if he had taken my husband home to be with Him, I know He loves us. His purposes and plans are not ours. We don't always understand them and we don't need to. Accepting that can be hard. However, I continue to pray for the calmness that only He can give. He has allowed me to be still in the scariest moments of my life and I know He can continue to give me that calmness as we move on from here.....
-My family together 6 days after Travis left the hospital, sorry for the squinting eyes...the sun was shining brightly that day :)



2 comments:

  1. LOVE it and love the peace that we have knowing that God has it all under control! Glad you joined the blogging world!!

    ReplyDelete