Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Why I Don't Make New Year's Resolutions



It's the new year again and everyone is penning their new year's resolutions in hopes for a better year. A year to accomplish more or better themselves in some way. I have never really made new year's resolutions and this year I've been thinking about why I don't really think a "resolution" is necessary or profitable.

Let's think about what a resolution is. It's defined as a firm decision to do or not to do something. I can't help but think a resolution really depends on you making something happen. I think that tends to be the thinking behind it. I will do better. I will do this or that.

Resolutions tend to be written as something that we will muster up the strength to do ourselves. We think about our own goals or interests. What will make us feel good about ourselves or make others think more highly of us.

And what happens when we fail? It's bound to happen if we're doing anything in our own strength. You make a resolution to eat healthier and then when you gorge on that brownie how do you feel? Like a failure..

However, in God's word there is a different way of looking at it. In Philippians 4:13 we read, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Do you see a difference? Where is the emphasis being placed? On you or Christ?

Of course the answer is Christ. Is there really anything that we can do apart from Him? Of course not! And let's not think it's possible to do anything without His strength and enabling. What do the Psalms read over and over again? Help me...save me...be my strength.

Psalm 22:19 reads, "But You, Lord, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me."

And again in Philippians 2:13 we read, "For it is God who works in You, both to will and to work for His good pleasure."

It's God's working...It's His show, not ours.

So rather than a resolution based on what we want or what will make us feel good, pray and seek the Lord on what He wants. Make the new year a prayerful time of seeking God's will in your life. Is He calling you into a new career? Does He want to call you into a ministry? Do you need to spend more time in His word? Will He enable you to be healthier in 2015?

Setting goals, after prayerful consideration, isn't a bad thing. Just as long as it's with God's strength and to His glory. However, don't fall into the "New Years Resolution" pit. Instead, make a list of what God is speaking to your heart. Pray about what God is changing in you and ask Him for the strength to carry it out.

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:28-31

Happy New Year everyone! 

-Further readings: Psalm 28:8, Habakkuk 3:19, Micah 5:4, Exodus 15:2




2 comments:

  1. Great post and the new look on the blog is great! Thanks for including my blogs on yours <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your blogs so I'm glad to show them here :)

      Delete