Thursday, December 18, 2014

All I Want for Christmas is....




This Christmas I haven't been joyful like normal. I've allowed myself to get caught up in all the hustle and bustle of buying or making the perfect gifts. I've lost sight of what is really important and let stress and anxiety take over this special time of the year.

As I was strolling through the store looking for gifts last week I was struck at what an American Christmas has become. The aisles in the stores were so jam-packed with the latest toy, appliances, clothing, and other items that you could barely fit in between. Everyone looked stressed and hurried. I even heard one lady remark, "I'm sick of this already!" She wasn't joyful shopping for gifts...it had become a chore. I think it had become a chore to me as well. I found myself just looking at items thinking, "I'm sure so and so would like this". When I did find something I placed it in the cart and sighed "there that person is done now"....Just wanting to check people off my list.

This is not a celebration. It's not joyful. It's an Americanized version of the Christmas season.

Christmas is a joyful season simply because of the great hope we have in Jesus Christ. It's supposed to be a reminder of the greatest gift we have all been given when Jesus gave us salvation. He gave us hope when we were hopeless.

Instead, it's become a race to have the perfect Christmas cards, decorations, presents, and food. This isn't what Jesus intended. He wants us to find our joy in Him...our peace in Him.

So, all I want for Christmas is to slow down. To shop less and pray more. To stress less and have more joy...

What will your focus be this Christmas?


No comments:

Post a Comment