"You say, 'I am allowed to do anything'- but not everything is good for you. And even though 'I am allowed to do anything', I must not become a slave to anything." 1 Corinthians 6:12
This week my family is going on a five-day fasting experience. However, we're not fasting from food. The fasting we're doing is a break from TV and computer....yes, I am still using the computer some because I'm involved in several things that require it, but I am watching how much time is spent with it. The reason we're fasting is because I saw this obsession beginning with the children and myself over television and playing on the computer. I used it to give me a break when I wanted the kids occupied and they used it because they were bored. Neither of which are good reasons to indulge. I dropped the ball on how often and how long they used these things so we're quitting "cold turkey" this week in order to re-prioritize. Do you ever find yourself getting sucked into just having the TV on most of the day? Aside from when the kids were studying (we home school) the TV was on and when school was complete I would let them use the computer or Kindle....unfortunately, I didn't watch the clock closely and they were on way more then they should have been. I knew that I was teaching them to indulge and that had to change.
We're on day two and it's been an interesting transition. The kids still very much want to watch TV and play on the computer....on day one my daughter insisted she watch while she ate her breakfast and when I told her "no" she proceeded to tell me she wouldn't eat until she could watch TV! Ha ha....the logic of a three-year old (don't worry she ate just a little while later and is eating fine today).
There have been many positive changes so far however and I'm anticipating more to come. Here's what I've seen so far though: reading more books, more hands-on play, (Lego's, play-doh, pattern blocks, etc.) and more peace. The kids are using their imaginations in play and all in all the home is just happier.
So, I will update some this week and let you know how it's going and maybe, if you're finding your home is a bit obsessed with technology, you might give it a whirl too. I know you won't be disappointed :)
No comments:
Post a Comment